Out of all the things that you will learn on your journey of faith, knowing God more each day is crucial to keeping your faith vital and strong and so you can make Him known, too! Think about it: If you don’t know who God is, or if you are unsure of His character and nature, how will you be able to tell anyone else? At the same time, truly knowing God is impossible, because He is more complex and multi-faceted than the human mind can comprehend!
That is why you must seek the Lord daily in His Word, commune with Him in prayer and dwell in His presence through worship. There is no other way to know the Lord than to seek Him and find Him over and over, all the days of your life.
Knowing God More is a Lifelong Journey
God is beyond human comprehension in every way, but He gave His Word and His Holy Spirit to His people to quicken that Word to clarify, provide wisdom and understanding. What so many people cannot grasp is that God is GOOD. He doesn’t cause bad things and then call them “good”, He repurposes bad things from Satan with His good purpose and works them out for your good, but He doesn’t partner with evil nor does He use evil as His method of accomplishing good. This is why knowing God more must be the focus of your faith journey.
There is no other way to know the Lord than to seek Him and find Him over and over, all the days of your life.~Alicia Purdy
Yet, as much as the Lord wants you to know Him- He wants to know you. Even though He already knows everything, His desire is that you continue to invite Him in so that He can continually reveal Himself to you and show you who you are through the revelation of His Holy Spirit. The whole point of why He called you is to know Him and to make Him known!
But just as important as knowing God more by learning who He is, knowing God more means also learning who God is not.
Knowing God More: 10 Things That are Not in His Nature
- “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He spoken, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? (Numbers 23:9)
- “The Lord is not slow concerning His promise, as some count slowness. But He is patient with us, because He does not want any to perish, but all to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
- “…for God is not unjust so as to forget your work and labor of love that you have shown for His name, in that you have ministered to the saints and continue ministering.” (Hebrews 6:10)
- “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.” (1 Cor. 14:33)
- “For I am the Lord, I do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.” (Malachi 3:6) and “The Lord has sworn and will not change…” (Psalm 110:4)
- “Also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent. For He is not a man, that He should repent.” (1 Samuel 15:29, Numbers 23:19)
- “So that by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.” (Hebrews 6:18)
- “Let no man say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil; neither does He tempt anyone.” (James 1:13)
- “I, the Lord, have spoken. It shall come to pass and I will act. I will not go back, nor will I spare, nor will I be sorry. According to your ways and according to your deeds, I shall judge you, says the Lord God.” (Ezekiel 24:14)
- “Nevertheless I will not remove My lovingkindness from him nor be false in My faithfulness.” (Psalm 89:33)
Thought for today: By Knowing God More, You’ll Know Yourself More too
When you are struggling, or when you need a fresh Word from the Lord, or a promise to stand on, or help in times of trouble- remember who God is not, and who God is will shine through! Knowing God more and more will take the rest of your life, but as you continually worship Him, commune with Him through prayer and seek Him in His Word, the more He will reveal of Himself by the power of His Holy Spirit. Part of getting to a place of deeper intimacy with the Lord is knowing Him more – just like with any other relationships in your life! The more you put into your relationship with the Lord, the more you will get out of it– including a stronger connection to Him.
It is the stronger connection with the Spirit of God that will sustain you in hard times, give you strength in your battle seasons, provide wisdom, insight and guidance when you don’t know what to do, or which way to turn. Scripturally speaking, there isn’t “more” of God to be had- He’s given you everything He has, and you have access to it all through His Son, Jesus Christ, meaning that knowing God more originates with you.
Get to Know More of the God You Love to Worship! “God is the Waymaker in Your Wasteland”
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of The Way of the Worshipper on Amazon – and AVAILABLE NOW you can also purchase The Way of the Worshipper: A Devotional Workbook for deeper study, personal examination and spiritual growth!