The apostle John the Beloved, who took Jesus’ mother, Mary, into his home after Jesus was crucified spent the end of his life in exile, writing, teaching and exhorting the Early Church. And even though his vision inspired the book of Revelation and he saw heaven and the angels and saints and creatures and elders worshipping the Lord around His throne, he made one thing very, very clear about God Almighty: “No one has seen God at any time…” (John 1:18) We’ve all wondered what the Lord looks like, and in His Word, we can catch glimpses, but only through Jesus can we have even the faintest idea, as John wrote, “…The only Son, who is at the Father’s side, has made Him known.” (John 1:18)
However, even though the Lord has form and shape, nothing He has operates like what we have been given, even though were made in His image. He has a voice like thunder. (Job 37:2-4) Smoke comes from His nostrils. (Psalm 18:8) His right hand acquires mountains where He will bring you to be safe. (Psalm 78:54) And the eyes of the Lord??
- “For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His…” (2. Chron. 16:9)
- The eyes of the Lord “see my ways, and count all my steps…” (Job 31:4)
- “For My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from My face…” (Jer. 16:7)
- “His eyes guide the children of men…” (Psalm 11:4; Psalm 32:8)
- “The eye of the Lord is upon them that fear Him and hope in His mercy.” (Psalm 33:18)
- “He rules by His power forever. His eyes behold the nations.” (Psalm 66:7)
- Your life is “precious in His sight.” (Psalm 72:14) and “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of His saints.” (Psalm 116:15)
- “My eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land that they may be with Me.” (Psalm 101:6)
- “Your eyes saw my substance, yet unformed…” (Psalm 139:16)
- “And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him…” (Hebrews 14:3)
…worship is intimacy by invitation. He’s not inviting you close in worship- you are inviting Him.
The eyes of the Lord see it all – even the parts of us we don’t want anyone to see. The lies. The heart attitudes. The habits. The strongholds. The pain. The stumblingblocks. The addictions. The longing. The dreams and desires. The shame. The hopes. The fears. His eyes see it all. But even more than that – the Lord is looking! The eyes of the Lord see plenty, but what does He want to see?
John the Beloved, who had “seen” more of the Lord than anyone else recorded that Jesus, Himself, who has “made God known” said this: “…the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. For the Father is looking for such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and truth.” (John 4:23-24)
The eyes of the Lord are upon you. He sees your life and the things that matter to you. But that applies to everyone, even if they don’t follow the Lord. If you want to go beyond that point – The Lord is seeking faithful people to walk with Him and He is looking for those who will worship Him. Why? Because worship is intimacy by invitation. He’s not inviting you close in worship- you are inviting Him.
Thought for today
Sometimes we wonder if God sees us, and His Word says He does- but what does He see in you? From you? Apart from just “seeing”, what does God notice? What draws God’s attention is faithful obedience, sacrifice and worship. Those are things the Lord, Himself, as asked to see. The eyes of the Lord see well beyond what you and I ever will, but what He desires to see is those to want to see through His eyes. That is a big request! Today, stop and ask the Lord to help you to see what He sees. Ask Him to change how you’re looking at things. Intentionally give the Lord your “sight” and seek Him in worship. He’s seeking you! As hard as it feels sometimes, we must be willing to let go of our natural perspectives and to learn to develop spiritual eyes. This will take the rest of our lives, but don’t worry…. He sees you! <3