Throughout the Word of God, there are numerous references to His people looking up to the heavens as a symbol of searching and waiting expectantly on the Lord. While the Almighty God does not dwell in a physical location, when we think of Him, we look up – to the mountains (Psalm 121:1), or maybe to the heavens (John 17:1) and into His Word to see what the Lord wants to show us. (Genesis 22:13) But He is looking too- for you! The Lord desires to show you His power, love, faithfulness, mercy and more and He is always looking for opportunities!
But that’s not all He’s looking for. When the Lord looks down, what is He looking for? What does He see? John 4:23 says that the Father is “seeking those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth”. Just as we seek Him, He is seeking His people as well. Have you every wondered, “What does God see when He looks at me?” We all wrestle with the idea that God sees how we’ve messed up, or how we failed to follow His will, or how we’ve caused problems, or sinned- but that’s a lie of the enemy! If you are in Christ, then when God looks at you, He sees JESUS.
When God Looks Down, His Eyes Search for You
“For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers…” (1 Peter 3:12) There are specific reasons that the Lord looks down from His place of glory and authority to seek you. Each reason is not only for His glory, but also for your benefit!
1. The Lord looks down to watch over your life. Psalm 33:13-15 says, “The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. From the place of His habitation He gazes on all the inhabitants of the earth; He fashions their hearts alike; He considers all their works.” The Lord knows who loves Him, who hates Him, who is a phony or a pretender and who truly serves Him. Jeremiah 16:7, says, “For My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from My face, nor is their iniquity concealed from My eyes.” He knows the thoughts and the intents of the heart and is the Great King who “all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:26-30)
2. The Lord looks down to seek those who are seeking Him. Psalm 14:2 says, “The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God.” Psalm 53:2 says, “God looked down from heaven on the children of men, to see if there were any who have insight, who seek God.” Remember this, God doesn’t need humanity, humanity needs God. God wants us. There is a difference! The Lord doesn’t need our worship. He doesn’t need our tithes. God doesn’t need anything we have to offer, but our praise is what He desires and when we give that to Him, it is made of great value and is precious in His sight because of our willing, freely-offered sacrifice. (Psalm 50:8-15) Is you’re truly seeking God– you will find Him because His eyes are on you!
3. The Lord looks down to see who He can help. 2 Chronicles 16:9, “For the eyes of the Lord move about on all the earth to strengthen the heart that is completely toward Him.” That is you! That is me! If your heart is completely turned toward the Lord, you are already a worshipper and He will know where to find you and you will know where to find Him – In His presence! Worship, prayer and His living, active, powerful Word are all equally important components of knowing Him, dwelling with Him and communing with Him. You need all three. The Lord desires to show you His faithfulness, mercy, love and grace. Yes, He can find you anywhere you are (Psalm 139:7-12), but when your heart is turned completely toward Him, He doesn’t have search to find you- you found Him! He dwells within your praise. (Psalm 22:3)
4. The Lord looks down to see how He can set you free. Psalm 102:19-20, “For He has looked down from the height of His sanctuary; from heaven the Lord looked down on the earth, to hear the groaning of the prisoners and to set free those who are appointed to death.” The Lord hears your cry! (Psalm 40:1-3) The Lord has a rescue plan for all those who are enslaved to sin – His Son Jesus Christ! There is no wrath against you because of Jesus! He is with you. He will never leave you. This world may throw you into the fire, but He will walk into it with you. (Psalm 34:17-19) What a Friend we have in Jesus! Never let yourself forget that, “the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer. (1 Peter 3:12) Stand on His Word- He will do what He said He would do!
5. The Lord looks down to find and destroy those who oppose Him. Psalm 2:4-5, “He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord ridicules [the kings of the earth]. Then He will speak to them in His wrath and terrify them in His burning anger…” There is no way the Almighty God, the Lord of Heavens Armies has any real “enemies” because no enemy could match Him in any battle nor do Him any harm. There is no threat on earth that creates a clear and present danger to the Lord! However, those who hate Him hate you. And His “enemies” are those who oppose Him by heaping sin, hatred and all kinds of wickedness upon His people. He is looking and He will find these people who have set themselves up as “kings of the earth”. And then they will see the true force of His terrible, mighty power.
Here’s More About How God Really Sees You
- “You Are Completely Imperfect, Made Perfect Through Christ”
- LIVE Devotional: “YOU are Mount Zion, the City of the Great King!”
- “There is No More Shame Because of Jesus Christ”
- “What is the Will of God for Your Life?”