Throughout the Word of God, there are numerous references to His people looking up to the heavens as a symbol of searching and waiting expectantly on the Lord. While the Almighty God does not dwell in a physical location, when we think of Him, we look up – to the mountains (Psalm 121:1), to the heavens (John 17:1) and to see what the Lord wants to show us. (Genesis 22:13) This is because we exist in a position of humility before the Lord, looking up from our helplessness, in need of Him every day. But have you ever stopped to realize that the Lord is looking as well? While He lives and dwells in all places at the same time, the Lord is spiritually seated above, as a king would be, who sits on a high throne.
When the Lord looks down, what is He looking for? What does He see? John 4:23 says that the Father is “seeking those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth”. Just as we seek Him, He is seeking His people as well. Here is why the Lord looks down:
1. The Lord looks down to watch over your life. Psalm 33:13-15 says, “The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. From the place of His habitation He gazes on all the inhabitants of the earth; He fashions their hearts alike; He considers all their works.” The Lord knows who loves Him, who hates Him, who is a phony or a pretender and who truly serves Him. Jeremiah 16:7, says, “For My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from My face, nor is their iniquity concealed from My eyes.” He knows the thoughts and the intents of the heart and is the Great King who “all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:26-30)
2. The Lord looks down to seek those who are seeking Him. Psalm 14:2 says, “The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God.” Psalm 53:2 says, “God looked down from heaven on the children of men, to see if there were any who have insight, who seek God.” Remember this, God doesn’t need humanity, humanity needs God. God wants us. There is a difference! The Lord doesn’t need our worship. He doesn’t need our tithes. God doesn’t need anything we have to offer, but what we give to Him is made of great value and is precious in His sight because of our willing, freely-offered sacrifice. (Psalm 50:8-15) Is you’re truly seeking God- you will find Him because His eyes are on you!
3. The Lord looks down to see who He can help. 2 Chronicles 16:9, “For the eyes of the Lord move about on all the earth to strengthen the heart that is completely toward Him.” That is you! That is me! If your heart is completely turned toward the Lord, He will know where you find you and you will know where to find Him – In His presence! Worship, prayer and His living, active, powerful Word are all equally important components of knowing Him, dwelling with Him and communing with Him. You need all three. The Lord desires to show you His faithfulness, mercy, love and grace. Yes, He can find you anywhere you are (Psalm 139:7-12), but when your heart is turned completely toward Him, He doesn’t have to find you- you found Him!
4. The Lord looks down to see how He can set you free. Psalm 102:19-20, “For He has looked down from the height of His sanctuary; from heaven the Lord looked down on the earth, to hear the groaning of the prisoners and to set free those who are appointed to death.” The Lord hears your cry! (Psalm 40:1-3) The Lord has a rescue plan for all those who are enslaved to sin – His Son Jesus Christ! He is with you. He will never leave you. This world may throw you into the fire, but He will walk into it with you. (Psalm 34:17-19) What a Friend we have in Jesus! Never let yourself forget that, “the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer. (1 Peter 3:12) Stand on His Word- He will do what He said He would do!
5. The Lord looks down to find and destroy those who oppose Him. Psalm 2:4-5, “He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord ridicules [the kings of the earth]. Then He will speak to them in His wrath and terrify them in His burning anger…” There is no way the Almighty God, the Lord of Heavens Armies has any real “enemies” because no enemy could match Him in any battle nor do Him any harm. There is no threat on earth that creates a clear and present danger to the Lord! However, those who hate Him hate you. And His “enemies” are those who oppose Him by heaping sin, hatred and all kinds of wickedness upon His people. He is looking and He will find these people who have set themselves up as “kings of the earth”. And then they will see the true force of His terrible, mighty power.
Thought for today
Worship the Lord today every time you remember that He is “looking down” to see you, to know you more, to help you, to guide you, to watch over you, to rescue you. Maybe you don’t see it with your natural eyes, but if you believe God is who He promised in His Word He is – WORSHIP! That is your act of faith today. Seek Him- and YOU WILL FIND HIM because He’s always been with you! <3