One of the things the Lord loves to do is destroy enemies. Not His enemies, of course, because the Lord doesn’t have any! Saying the Lord has enemies is like saying a flea is the enemy of the giant! The Almighty God has no equal, so as much as anyone, including Satan, can hate the Lord, nothing and no one could ever match His power. Psalm 2:1-4 says, “The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord…He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord ridicules them.” No “enemy” poses any legitimate threat to the Lord. So, who is He fighting against? YOUR enemies!
Here’s the thing– the “enemies”, trials and tribulations that come against you in life may be there because of something you did, or because of something the enemy is trying to do or because this world is filled with sin, but that doesn’t matter! At the end of the day, “when the enemy comes in like a flood”, the Lord is there to fight for you and with you. But you are His point of contact on earth. YOU are what Jesus meant when He said “…Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” He was inviting the Lord to use HIM! (Matt. 6:10) YOU are the primary weapon that Lord will wield – and will win with – in the battles you’ll face in this life.
Your Praise is Prophetic of God’s Power
You have a battle cry- and it is praise! Giving thanks to God in all circumstances will be one of the greatest emotional, mental and spiritual challenges you’ll ever face- but if you can praise Him through it all, you’ll persevere into victory. Your faithful, loving and undefeatable God delights in destroying your enemies! In Isaiah 30:27-28, the prophet Isaiah gives us a powerful image of how the Lord reacts to the enemies of His people, and to those who have cried out in their season of attack. Isaiah said this:
“You shall have songs, as in the night when a festival is kept, and gladness of heart, as when one goes with a flute to come into the mountain of the Lord, to the Mighty One of Israel. The Lord shall cause His glorious voice to be heard…” (Isaiah 30:29-30)
“Songs in the night” – that is you, that is now! A “song in the night” is your battle cry of VICTORY in the worst of times. Your praise is the sign that you are not defeated, even if you feel like it. Praise is the action of faith. Praise is the prophecy that God will do what He said He will do! Praise is proof of LIFE! How does that happen? How do you have “songs in the night” seasons of your life? Here’s how:
1) “songs…as when one goes with a flute to come into the mountain of the Lord” – that is worship! Remember, worship is ministry to the Lord. The only way to have a song in the night is to make yourself sing one! “He has put a new song in my mouth” David wrote. (Psalm 40:3) The song is there! Whether or not you feel like singing it is a different matter, but pushing past the flesh is the secret to victory in the spirit! Worship is always the right response because it is an act of gratitude. You can’t read your Bible thankfully and while you can pray and say ‘thank you’ to God, He asked for you to worship Him with your gratitude (Psalm 50:23) and in return He promised to show you the way of salvation from whatever it is you need saving from! Hallelujah!
2) Worship anyway. Where did your song go? The Lord will write you a new one, a new reason to worship, but for now- get back to basics. Start praising Him for the little things, thanking Him for whatever He brings to your mind. When you least feel like worshipping, when the clouds around you have grown dark and threatening, when the gale-force winds stir up your painful remembrances and scare you, when your mind goes blank from fear and anxiety, when you’re barely hanging on- that is the time to worship! Will you feel like it? No. And that exactly when you need to do it the most. Worship becomes a weapon of war against the enemy when you step away from who you are and what you’re going through in order to step into the presence of God. It’s a supernatural act of power to force yourself past your flesh and into the spirit. It will be your greatest sacrifice- and He will not forget it. (Genesis 22:17)
3) Build an altar. One of the things people of faith did after a season of great difficulty was to build an altar. After the year-long flood, Noah built an altar in worship to the Lord. (Genesis 8:20) After a terrible battle with Amalek, where Aaron and Hur held up Moses’ hands in the day of battle, Moses built an altar. (Genesis 17:15) After David sinned and God had punished the people for what David did, David repented and built an altar. (2 Samuel 24:24-25) You will have a song in the night season, and a new song for each new “night” you experience, but the altar? That is for your remembrance. Jeremiah 31:21 says this, “Set up road marks, place guideposts. Set your heart toward the highway, even the way by which you went.” Someday the altar you’ve built in your memory of what God is doing for you today will be the point of origin to guide you through the next storm!
Thought for today: Giving Thanks isn’t About Circumstances, It’s About Connection
The spiritual principles of praise are more than for your benefit. Your testimony of praise will challenge and change the world. If you truly believe God is faithful, that God is able, that God hears, cares, understands, and fights for you- praise Him! One of the first things Satan will do when life gets hard is suck away your desire to praise. He’ll try to exhaust you on every level because he knows the supernatural power of praise better than any creature in existence! Don’t let him win! Praise the Lord with thanksgiving through it all, and you’ll find the strength to persevere!
One of the ways to stir your faith is by remembering the great things the Lord has done for you in the past- to built faith in knowing He’ll come through again. The Lord has no enemies, but you do. “By this I know that You favor me, because my enemy does not triumph over me,” David wrote. (Psalm 41:11) Satan cannot defeat you without your permission. It may be a mighty battle, but if you don’t give up, you WILL win because the Lord of Heavens Armies (Isaiah 8:13) will fight alongside you!
Stir up your faith in the Lord and find your song in the night:
- “The Soul Cries Out As the Deer Pants for Water”
- “The Blessing of Bowing Down”
- “The Right Hand of the Lord Has Unlimited, Unmatched Power”