The questions that everyone in the world has asked at one time or another are these: Why am I here? Why was I born? What is my purpose? Everyone wants to know that their life isn’t meaningless, that something they’ve done will be remembered after they’re gone. What most of the world doesn’t understand is that all of humanity was created to worship the Lord and when you do that, your purpose fulfilled. Worship is how the spirit within a person connects to the Spirit of God and as a child of God, He desires to be close to you. But, of course, your calling from God is how He plans to use you as a necessary, effective ambassador of His salvation and agent of His love to the lost and dying world.
Every life has a purpose and a Kingdom calling from God, although not every life chooses to walk in that purpose or calling. Even so, every person’s calling remains as Paul noted in Romans 11:29 when he said, “For the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable.” God will always need you, even if it is on the last day of your life, it’s never too late to be effective in His Kingdom! Being created to worship is between you and God, but what about life between you and the rest of the world? You were created with a spiritual and a natural purpose. What are you called by God to do during your time on earth? Have you ever asked that very important question? We all have- and God has an answer for you!
Your Calling From God is Revealed in His Presence
Sometimes we over-complicate things and search for deeper meanings and purposes when, really, God has something simple, easy to understand and the right fit for your life:
“But we are bound to always give thanks to God for you, beloved brothers of the Lord, because God has from the beginning called you to salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief of the truth. To this He called you by our gospel, to obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14)
- You are called to “salvation through sanctification by the Spirit “.
- You are called to the “belief of the truth”.
- You are called to “obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ”.
The things that God has called you to do on this earth seem so simple and yet the many, many possibilities that exist within them are actually very complex and expansive. The entire world and all of their potentials are encompassed in the three callings from God and every, single person is useful to Him. You are chosen and your created purpose is to worship the Lord because worship creates an intimacy between you and Him. That intimacy is the foundation that will support what you build as you pursue His calling on your life. The point is this: God has a perfect plan for you, and if you are following your true calling from God, which is listed above, then you don’t have to worry about “missing” God in your life. The natural outcome of trusting the Lord with all your heart and leaning not on your own understanding and in all your ways following Him is that He will direct your path.
Understanding Your Three Callings From God
- The Holy Spirit – As you walk through the journey of sanctification – the process by which the natural man is continually put to death and the spiritual man is continually raised to life through the development of your relationship with Christ, your natural desire to share this glorious experience will grow as well. You don’t have to be afraid that God will call you to a life of poverty on the mission field, just worry about staying close to the Holy Spirit who will sanctify your mind and heart. Soon, your dreams will reflect the desires of His heart and the rest will fall into place.
- The Word of God – You are called to know Jesus Christ by knowing His Word. “Let the Word of God dwell in you richly,” Paul wrote in Colossians 3:16. And “Study to show yourself approved by God, a workman who need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth,” Paul advised Timothy (2 Timothy 2:15) Why? Because, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17) Don’t worry about being a gospel preacher or perfection or sounding dumb or not getting it exactly right. Jesus Christ will partner with His own Word that comes out of your mouth. You are called to know Him through His Word – let Him take care of the rest!
- Worship – You are called to “obtain the glory of Christ”, that is, to worship Him. You were created to worship, which is a heavenly assignment and you are called to worship, which is part of your earthly assignment. God doesn’t need your worship. If He did, He could demand and command it, but He has never done that. He wants it. Why? To be close to you! He made you to have communion and relationship with you and worship facilitates keeps that alive! Being close to God isn’t for His benefit, it is for yours. Worship is completely God-centered and you are called to live a life with your eyes fixed on Him. Without worship, “life” is a lot harder to live. If you want to experience the “more” of it all, worship more!
Thought for today: Your Calling Still Stands
There are many ways in which God could use you in this world to glorify His name, so don’t limit yourself, but don’t get overwhelmed either because really, you only have a few Scriptural callings and the rest of your life flows out from those. Don’t try and do everything and be everything and don’t try to copy what someone else is doing. God has made you uniquely and His calling on your life is unique as well. Don’t “major in the minors” – stick to the basics: The Holy Spirit of God, the Word of God and the worship of God. “Therefore, brothers, diligently make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,” Peter wrote. (2 Peter 1:10) We all get so caught up in our jobs and our busy lives, activities, interests and relationships and even in the ministry or church things that we then fret about if what we are doing is what God has “called” us to! If you stick to the few callings He has given you, God will bring the many callings to you and then through you from the solid ground of faith upon which you stand!!
The Lord Wants to Show You More About His Plan For You!
- LIVE Bible Study: “Your Three Callings in Christ”
- “The Trials and Tribulations of Life Are the Keys to Triumph”
- “5 Deadly Qualities of a Living Sacrifice to God”
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of The Way of the Worshipper on Amazon – and AVAILABLE NOW you can also purchase The Way of the Worshipper: A Devotional Workbook for deeper study, personal examination and spiritual growth!