The book of Job narrates this stunning scene that took place in the heavens:
“Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. And the Lord said to Satan, “From where do you come?” So Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”
Satan’s purpose? Stalking humanity, looking for the weak, the sick, the young and the wounded – and he didn’t even bother to hide it! Peter stated also stated it clearly. “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith…” (1 Peter 5:8-9)
Satan seeks to:
- Tempt you to sin in any areas where you lack self-control. (1 Corinthians 7:5)
- Lead you astray from a “sincere and pure devotion to Christ. (2 Corinthians 3:11)
- Entice you to lie to the Holy Spirit (Acts 3:5)
- Convince you to carry out his evil works (John 8:44)
- Get you to be a stumblingblock to another Christian (Matthew 16:23)
- Shame and oppress you by accusing you before God and other people. (Revelation 12:10)
- Cause you to suffer. (1 Peter 5:9)
- Influence other people to harm you. (Luke 22:3-4)
The list goes on…..!
Much further into history, after that conversation in heaven, in the book of 2 Chronicles, the prophet Hanani spoke about the Lord saying, “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.” (2 Chronicles 16:1-10)
It is important to your faith journey that you understand that you are being actively sought by two opposing forces.
The Lord’s purpose?
- He wants to answer your prayers. “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers…” (1 Peter 3:12)
- The Lord’s desire is to know you and to grow you. “There is no creature that is not revealed in His sight, for all things are bare and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.” (Hebrews 4:13)
- The Holy Spirit of God wants to help you, show you His perfect plan and walk with you as you walk it out. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you.” (Psalm 32:8)
- He watches over you, always, for your worship in spirit and in truth. Psalm 33:18 says, “Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, on those who hope for His lovingkindness.”
- The Lord wants to know your heart and desires that you give it freely at every opportunity that presents itself in your life so He can help. “For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
- He’s looking at you and listening for you to call on Him so He can answer. Psalm 34:15 says, “The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears toward their cry.”
- He watches over the truth of His word and the truth will expose lies, deceit and sin. Proverbs 22:12, “The eyes of the Lord keep watch over knowledge, but he overthrows the words of the traitor.”
- What God has blessed you with, He will defend, watch over and help with as you serve Him. Deuteronomy 11:11-12 says, “…the land, which you are entering to possess… is a land for which the Lord your God cares. The eyes of the Lord your God are always on it, from the beginning of the year even to the end of the year.”
The list goes on…!
It is important to your faith journey that you understand that you are being actively sought by two opposing forces. One seeks your destruction, the other seeks to give you life more abundantly. (John 10:10) One died for you, one wants you to die. One is a LION, one is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Two sets of eyes fixed on the same target. This is why you can never let your guard down or become comfortable, routine or complacent. This is why your ministry to the Lord in worship, your growth in the faith, your knowledge and understanding of the Word, your ability to harness and use the spiritual weapons you’ve been given must continue.
Thought for today
The best piece of insight I could ever give another Christian is this:
Every, single battle you’ll ever face is spiritual
The Bible backs that up! Remember that your “fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12)
The closer you are the to Lord, the further away you move as a target for the enemy. He’ll never give up, but neither will the Lord:
“For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.” (Deuteronomy 20:4)
“Through You we will push back our adversaries; Through Your name we will trample down those who rise up against us.” (Psalm 44:5)
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of The Way of the Worshipper on Amazon – and AVAILABLE NOW you can also purchase The Way of the Worshipper: A Devotional Workbook for deeper study, personal examination and spiritual growth!