Psalm 18 is a well-known Psalm written from the heart of David who sang it in thanksgiving after the Lord had rescued him from his enemies, including King Saul. David had lived his life on the run as he was pursued for years by Saul. Even though David had been anointed as the next king of Israel by the prophet Samuel and had received a word from the Lord about his family, his kingdom and his legacy, David still had to walk through the “valley of the shadow of death” to get there! This journey included the death of his best friend, the slaying of four giants, the burning of his village, betrayal, pain, fear and more. And yet David praised God every step of the way. Every time the Lord acted, David stopped and openly worshipped Him. What a challenging thought to we who live by faith and not by sight!
“I will call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I will be saved from my enemies.” (Psalm 18:3) Maybe you don’t think you have “enemies” in the traditional sense – but in reality you are surrounded by enemies! Satan, your adversary, actively seeks to harm you every, single day, and to destroy the things that you love. Worship wins wars BUT those victories will be within you before you see them outside of you!
It was David’s faithfulness to praise the Lord that set him apart from the earliest days of life and it was praise that carried through to the end of his glorious and victorious days.
It was David’s faithfulness to praise the Lord that set him apart from the earliest days of life and it was praise that carried through to the end of his glorious and victorious days. In Psalm 18, David lavishes his love on the Lord and then writes these powerful and descriptive words as a record and a testimony of who God is and now, God wants you to read them and remember that “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy”. (Revelation 19:10) Translation: What God has done for David, God will do for you! But remember, if you want what David had, you’ll need to do what David did before, during and after every season he ever walked through – the highs, the lows, the darkness and the light: PRAISE THE LORD!
I want you to look at the list below from Psalm 18 and I want you to read these 40 things out loud to yourself. Let your ears hear the words of faith. Let your spirit hear and be stirred in faith. Let hope arise! WORSHIP THE LORD as David did and here are 40 things God will do for you in your situation, in your life, in your relationship, in the things that you have lifted up to Him in prayer.
- He heard my voice from His temple
- He bent the heavens and came down
- He rode on a cherub, and flew
- He flew swiftly on the wings of the wind
- He made darkness His secret place
- The Lord thundered in the heavens
- He sent out His arrows and scattered them
- He shot out lightning and distressed them
- He sent from above, He took me
- He drew me out of many waters
- He delivered me from my strong enemy
- He supported me
- He also brought me forth into a large place
- He delivered me because He delighted in me
- The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness
- The Lord has repaid me according to my righteousness
- You will cause my lamp to shine
- The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness
- He is a shield to all those who take refuge in Him
- God clothes me with strength
- He gives my way integrity
- He makes my feet like the feet of a deer
- He causes me to stand on my high places
- He trains my hands for war
- You have given me the shield of Your salvation
- Your right hand has held me up
- Your gentleness has made me great
- You have lengthened my stride under me, so that my feet did not slip
- You clothed me with strength for the battle
- You subdued under me those who rose up against me
- You gave me the necks of my enemies
- You have delivered me from the hostilities of the people
- You have made me the head of nations
- God avenges me
- He subdues the people under me
- He delivers me from my enemies
- You lift me up above those who rise up against me
- You have delivered me from the violent man
- He gives great deliverance to His beloved
- He shows lovingkindness to His anointed
Thought for today
David wrote this about “them” – the enemies who had set themselves against him, “They cried for help, but there was none to save them; even to the Lord, but He did not answer them.” (Psalm 18:41) Boom! Don’t get into the weeds with the “what-if’s”. Don’t languish in your faith as you wait. God is on your side. Print out this list. Tuck it into your Bible or journal. Read it out loud daily. When you are on God’s side, He is on yours and that is all the power you need! Praise the Lord! Here’s what David said: “The Lord lives! And blessed be my Rock! May the God of my salvation be exalted…. Therefore I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the nations, and sing praises to Your name.”
If you want that to be your testimony, then start testifying now. Your praise of the Lord is proof that His promises are true!
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of The Way of the Worshipper on Amazon – and AVAILABLE NOW you can also purchase The Way of the Worshipper: A Devotional Workbook for deeper study, personal examination and spiritual growth!